Funeral Home
Tredway-Pollitt-Staver Funeral Home
Care and Concern since 1892

Trust Built on Service                    Trust Built on Value
Trust Built on Service     Trust Built on Value
The original building faced Cameron Ave at the L.&L. R.R. crossing.  This building was
remodelled in 1897 with an imposing stone frontage.  It became popularly known as the
“barn”; a favorite meeting place for many of the town’s frontrank citizens.  In one nook
there was a big, potbellied stove and chairs for the guest convenience and comfort.

The Tredway institution may pridefully point to several Norwood “firsts”.  For example, in
those early days it was customary to hold funeral services in the home of the deceased.  
The Tredways, however, installed a small but complete chapel on their premises, giving
impetus to today’s custom of holding final services at the funeral home.  The Tredways
also featured one of Norwood’s first telephone stations.  They transmitted calls to local
doctors and relayed other messages, by horse and buggy, to any desired address.  One
of their favorite patrons was Dr. W.H. Hopkins.  He boarded his horse at Tredways
“barn”.  Finishing his calls at the end of the day,  the good doctor, getting out of his
buggy, would slap the animal on its flanks, saying, “go to the barn”.  The horse would
wind his way down the pike and turn in at Tredway’s.  

Shortly after being wounded in the “Battle of the Bulge” during WWII, Walker B. Pollitt Jr.  
returned home to his native Cincinnati where he completed his education at The
Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science.  After being licensed by the state of Ohio as a
funeral director/embalmer, Walker started his career as a funeral director/embalmer at
the Brown Funeral Home in Hamilton, Ohio.   

During his time at Brown Funeral Home, Walker caught word that the funeral
director/embalmer at Tredway Funeral Home suddenly passed away.  Well, with his 6’3”
frame and a personality that only Walker could pull off,  he went to the calling hours of
the late funeral director/embalmer of the Tredway Funeral Home.  Entering through the
front doors of the funeral home, Walker turned to John Tredway, who was attending the
door, and introduced him self as “I’m  Walker B. Pollitt Jr., your new embalmer”.  From
that day in 1952, Walker managed the funeral home.  In the early 80’s the last name of
Pollitt was proudly added to the Tredway Funeral Home, now known as Tredway-Pollitt
Funeral Home.  Before his retirement in 1999, Walker took on one last student attending
The Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science by the name of Jeff S. Staver.

Jeff Staver moved from his home town of Massillon, Ohio after completing his qualifying
education at the University of Akron, to attend The Cincinnati College of Mortuary
Science.  At which time he sought out employment and student housing at The Tredway-
Pollitt Funeral Home.  During his time at The Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and
working at the funeral home, Walker took him under his wing to teach him the “Walker
way of how things are to be done”.  During his time with Walker, Walker instilled in him
his values on how to treat families.  Treat families as family and do your best, were the
two biggest lessons Jeff took away from Walker.  After Walkers retirement in 1999, Jeff
took over the reins at the funeral home and to this day he is still trying to live up to the
legacy of Walker B. Pollitt Jr.
The Tredway Funeral Home in Norwood
dates from 1892.  It was originally
established by Oscar Tredway and his
brother Decature, as a combination
funeral business and livery stable at
4141 Montgomery Rd.  
About Us